Risk Label Explanation
High Risk: Complaints marked with a high-risk label have a higher likelihood of identity theft occurring in the future. Scammers/hackers could be in possession of your personal information, such as your name, address, bank account and/or social security number. With such information in hand, they may attempt to acquire fraudulent loans, credit cards, driver's licenses and even mortgages in your name. Anyone who has been targeted by a scam, such as an IRS scam, US Treasury scam, loan scam, tech support scam, debt reduction scam, re-shipping scam, collection scam, employment scam, work from home scam, fake arrest scam or any other similar scam where your personal information could have been compromised, is encouraged to follow these steps:
1. If the scammers call you again, notify them that you are aware of the scam.
2. Block the phone numbers associated with the scam, if you are able to do so.
3. Do not pay the scammers. They will keep coming back.
4. Completely ignore their threats of arrest and lawsuits. They are baseless. (IRS scam, US Treasury and Collection scams only)
5. They may threaten to call your place of employment. In most cases, it’s a simple lie, but if they do call, we recommend talking to your superior and explaining the situation. (IRS scam, US Treasury and Collection scams only)
6. Consumers who have been contacted by scammers could have had their personal information breached. #REPORTSCAM highly recommends that consumers whose information has been breached obtain identity theft protection service immediately. There are several companies that offer identity theft protection in the US. One of the most inexpensive options we were able to find is the protection offered by LifeLock. You can start your protection here.
Disclaimer: The information and opinions contained on this site are not endorsed by LifeLock. #REPORTSCAM receives compensation from LifeLock. This helps support our scam prevention efforts.
Low Risk: Complaints labeled with a low-risk label do not pose a significant and immediate risk of identity theft. However, if you think that your information has been compromised, please consider obtaining one, just to be safe.